ENGAGING DOCTOR LUKE
WITNESSES TO THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
When the Holy Spirit is at work through believers, we witness His Power. We see in this lesson, the power through Paul. Wouldn’t you want to be instruments through which the Holy Spirit can work?
READING ACTS 19
1. V1-7. What was the difference between the baptism of John the Baptist and the baptism in the name of Jesus? What happened to the men of Ephesus after they were baptised in Jesus’ name?
2. V8-12. Note the things Paul did in Tyrannus (Ephesus). How was Paul able to do these?
3. V13-16. Why were the sons of Sceva not able to cast out the demon, and what was the outcome for them? Compare this to what happened in Acts 16:16-18 when Paul drove out the demon from the servant girl.
4. V17-20. What resulted from this event (about the sons of Sceva) for the believers in Ephesus?
5. Compare the Jews & Greeks in v17-20, and with Demetrius & the other idols makers (v23-41). The bottom-line is about money and riches. What does this tell you about responding to the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ?
The people of Ephesus witnessed the power of the Holy Spirit working through Paul. They also saw the folly of the sons of Sceva. Just calling on the name of Jesus is not enough. The Holy Spirit must be at work in and through the life of those who believe. Will you be an instrument that the Holy Spirit can work with? Indeed, you will then see the great miracles, and the power of the spoken word.