ENGAGING DOCTOR LUKE
A NEGATIVE WITNESS
Hero to zero. You know you have disappointed Jesus when you have been such a passionate follower of Jesus and in the next moment become an utter letdown. That is Peter, one moment the most zealous friend & follower, vowing never to leave Jesus, and the next denying him. What a crisis.
READING LUKE 22:54-62
1. Peter followed at a distance; the other disciples ran away. Make a contrast between Peter and the rest. What does it tell you about Peter’s character?
2. Why did Peter deny knowing Jesus? What did Peter have to lose in being identified with Jesus?
3. (v60-61) What made Peter realize what he was doing? When Jesus “looks” into your life, what does He see?
4. How do you think the servant girl and the others were able to tell that Peter was one of the followers of Jesus? What are the marks of a follower of Jesus?
5. When Peter awakens to what he has done, how did he respond? Why does he weep? What is your response once you realize your own sin?
Was there a time you feared being identified with Jesus (school / work / family / business / friends)? How did you respond? How would you respond in the same situation today? Journal your thoughts.
What can you learn from Peter about dealing with sin and temptation in your own life? Pray that God will give you strength in times of crisis.