ENGAGING DOCTOR LUKE
WITNESS - ARE YOU AUTHENTIC OR HYPOCRITICAL
“Churches are full of hypocrites” - Now, that’s a burning accusation! Could someone accuse you of being hypocritical?
READING LUKE 11:53-12:12
1. In the midst of a large crowd, Jesus literally shouts to His Disciples, ““Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.” Why do you think Jesus did that? What is the “hypocrisy” of the Pharisees (* Matthew 6:1; Matthew 23:5; consider also Luke 12:2-3)? How is their hypocrisy like yeast?
2. Why did Jesus follow immediately with v 4-5, which is without doubt about God? Jesus is highlighting the REASON for the hypocrisy of the Pharisees. What is it? And what can you learn from this? (Journal)
3. In v 8-12, what does Jesus promise to those who “acknowledge” him before others? How do you to acknowledge (witness) Jesus before others (1 John 3:18 - think of how this verse can be practical)?
4. V10 indicates that there is forgiveness for those who may speak against Jesus, yet not for those who “blaspheme against the Holy Spirit.” What is the difference? What does it mean to “blaspheme against the Holy Spirit” (Luke 11:15-16, Mark 3:29-30 & 2 Timothy 3:5 - you should find answers in these verses)?
5. Jesus warns those who are His witnesses will face hypocritical authorities (not ‘if’ but ‘when’). What are you to do in such at time? What is His promise to you in such circumstance?
CONTEMPLATIONWhere are you on the “Authentic ----------------------- Hypocritical” Scale? Ask the Holy Spirit how you can acknowledge Jesus before others as an Authentic Witness - and go do it. (Journal your experiences)