ENGAGING DOCTOR LUKE
WITNESSES ON THE ROAD
The “lights came on”! Why didn’t I think of that? Remember the time you struggled for a solution & something sparked a revelation? What happened to make the difference? Two Witnesses on the road go from confusion to insight in their thinking about Jesus. Can we learn from them?
READING LUKE 24:13-35
1. Based on what had happened in Luke 23, what were these travellers doing, thinking, and feeling? What would their conversation be like?
2. V 25-27. Was Jesus being hard on the disciples? Why or why not? What was he getting them to ‘see’? Why do you think it was “necessary” for the Messiah to “suffer these things and then enter into his glory”? (Note: “His glory” refers to his resurrection and ascension to the Father’s right hand.)
3. Jesus referred to passages throughout all the Scriptures that were about himself. (Research - where these Scripture are found in the Bible. Note the Bible References). What message did these passages have?
4. V27 & 32. How did the disciples come to recognize Jesus? What do you think it means that their hearts “burned within them” when Jesus opened the Scriptures to them (verse 32)? Have you ever experienced such revelations while engaging the Scriptures?
5. What did the disciples finally come to understand? How did they respond? How have they become witnesses?
As you reflect on this passage, how did Jesus help two confused disciples come to see the truth about his resurrection and become witnesses to it? What principles can you use when you speak about Jesus? What difference can the reality of Jesus’ resurrection make to you each day? (Journal)