ENGAGING DOCTOR LUKE
THE TRANSFORMED WITNESS
Transformation - a change inside out. Never possible on your own strength. How can a sinful man change himself? To what can he change into? At Jericho, Jesus meets Zacchaeus and their encounter brought transformation for one man, inside out.
READING LUKE 19:1-10
1. V1-6, what do we know about Zacchaeus? And what does it mean to be a “Chief Tax Collector”? And why do the people despise such a person?
2. V5-7, how do you think Zacchaeus felt in meeting Jesus? How would you have felt if you were Zacchaeus? How do you feel about comments by the other people (v7)?
3. What did Jesus do to build a friendship with Zacchaeus? Why did Jesus do it? What lesson can you learn from Jesus?
4. What do you think was going on inside Zacchaeus as he sat with Jesus (v8-10)? How is he transformed by meeting Jesus? What would the transformation for the other people of the community be like?
5. How does this passage illustrate Jesus’ life mission as stated in verse 10?
Do a stock-take of your life (ask the Holy Spirit to lead you). What are some ways Jesus has changed you since you called Him Lord and Saviour? How can you be a witness to Jesus’ transforming power in your life?